Monday, June 6, 2011

We Miss You Christina!!!


This is far and away the most difficult blog that I have had to write thus far and it is my sincere prayer that it is the most difficult one of the trip. Today, I have lost a co-leader and more importantly a great friend, Christina Genco. Christina was my rock for Bike & Build. I could talk to her about anything and we voiced grievances about the trip to one another many times. It actually had become slightly absurd in the past week or so because we were finishing each other’s sentences and coming up with the same ideas. She will be missed and remembered.

I have had a good bit of time to reflect on things and there are a couple of things that I think I, as well as some of my friends, need to take away from this tragedy. First, Christina was not afraid of challenging herself. She found herself to be unhappy, so she quit her job was going to bike across the country and then was going to try and start over again somewhere else.

Second, she knew how to love life. It’s tragic that at age twenty-two she is gone but she lived life and loved life. She passed doing something that she absolutely loved. I hope that I am lucky enough to meet my end in a similar fashion. I know many other people who don’t love life simply because they aren’t living life. So go take some risks and live life.

I know there are a couple of things that if I had done differently she might still be around. That said, I wasn’t doing anything wrong and I know that Christina wouldn’t blame. Therefore, I cannot blame myself.

Many people have asked me about whether or not I will finish the ride. I don’t really see that I have any other option but to finish. I know that sounds absurd to a good many of you, but Christina wanted to make this ride happen more than anything. It’s going to be difficult without Christina, for certain, but I know that’s what she would have wanted. So, I think that it is necessary to honor her memory.

Christina, I love you and miss you and while it is difficult, I am going to press on for you.

-Jeremy


4 comments:

  1. God bless you, Jeremy, and the rest of your Bike and Build team. My heart breaks for all of you having to experience this tragic loss.

    I helped with the dinner hosted by Trinity UMC in Charleston. Your team's energy made a wonderful impression on our church. Please know you are all in our prayers.

    Brooke Gerbracht

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your teams and your loss. What a tragic loss. I know there is nothing I can say that will help at this time of grieving but you will be in my thoughts and prayers as you press on
    Jim Waldron Rotary Club Columbia County

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jeremy, I am so sorry to hear of this tragedy.

    The ASU Rotaract members are thinking about you and your team and care about you. Please, do not hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do to help you and your group. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers, and our support will be here for you.

    Irina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeremy,
    I'm so sorry for your loss. You and members of the team are in my prayers. Christina was truly blessed to have known you and to ride with you. She passed doing something she enjoyed and with a desire to help others. Continue your ride in her honor, and I'm sure she'll be there with you in spirit. God bless you, Jeremy.

    Kay Potter
    ASU

    ReplyDelete