Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Aspen, CO

Today was the best ride of the summer so far!! We went from Twin Lakes to Aspen via Independence Pass and it was absolutely spectacular. I had heard that it was a pretty intense ride, but honestly I didn't think it was that bad. I laid back and took an easy and stop and took pictures every couple of miles and the next thing I knew I was at the top of the pass. Stan was driving the van and he went into Aspen and bought us cigars so I had a cigar at the top of the pass. Yes, I know that it sounds crazy to smoke a cigar at 12,095 feet, where you can barely breath, but I have to admit it was a lot of fun. Everyone was really excited when they made it to the top and we played Rocky Mountain High on the stereo. I think people thought we were a bit obnoxious but given the circumstances I think that our behavior was perfectly justified.

After the top of the pass we had a nice downhill into Aspen. I tried for a while to see if I could coast from the top of the pass to Aspen. It wasn't and so I started to pedal again. I actually found myself riding behind a couple of motorcycles and trucks for about two miles, before I decided to stop at a lookout and take pictures.

Aspen seems to be a nice town. Lots of bikes which is nice because it means people are used to cyclists on the road. There are tons of unique looking restaurants, which are also probably be expensive, so I'll stick with the food provided by Sierra's mother and maybe supplement with some fast food if I need extra. (Dollar menus are my best friend.)

I think I am going to go explore this town a bit more. Enjoy the pictures below!!

-Jeremy


Twin lakes at sunset
 Twin lakes early in the morning

Myself at the top of Independence Pass with a stogie
The view from the top of the pass with my traveling companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment